When making cupcakes, cake and other sweet treats, you can enhance the appearance and texture of the dessert by choosing a unique topping. To add a touch of fanciness to one of your recipes, consider making a fluffy white frosting with an appealing gloss and texture. Below you will find a meringue-like recipe for fluffy white frosting that also doubles as a tasty dessert filling or icing for sandwich cakes.
Fluffy White Frosting
(This recipe will make enough frosting to fill and ice a 9-inch sandwich cake)
- 10 ounces sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon liquid glucose
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Combine the sugar, cream of tartar, water, egg whites, and glucose in a large heatproof bowl (or on the top of a double saucepan). Stir the ingredients just enough to mix.
2. Set the bowl over a saucepan filled with boiling water. Make sure that the base of the bowl does not touch the water.
3. With a hand-held electric mixer, beat the ingredients at high speed for about 7 minutes. Beat until the frosting is thick and white. It should also form stiff peaks.
4. Remove the frosting from the heat. Add in the vanilla and continue beating for about 3 minutes. The frosting should have also slightly cooled by this time.
5. Use the frosting immediately.
Flavored White Fluffy Frosting
To further enhance the taste and effect of your white frosting, you may add different flavors. Create an orange frosting by substituting orange juice for the water. Add one teaspoon of grated orange zest to cap off the taste. Also, reduce the vanilla to ½ teaspoon. For a lemon frosting, use two tablespoons each of lemon juice and water in the recipe. Add ½ teaspoon of grated lemon zest and reduce the vanilla to ½ teaspoon.