This week I had the opportunity to do a small birthday cake for a close friend’s niece. The theme of the party was Elvis Presley (hence the design on the cake). While doing this cake I decided to do some experimenting with different types of frostings. I’ve made them all mixed, boiled, and I have such a hard time finding that perfect frosting that “crusts” over nicely, but doesn’t taste like you’re eating shortening out of the can! I came to this recipe by combining about 3 recipes. The combination of the butter and cream cheese create a perfect crust but the taste is still there. I hope you all find this frosting as yummy as the party goers did. Happy Baking!
Perfect Cream Cheese Frosting
– 1 cup unsalted butter softened
– 1 8oz bar cream cheese softened
– 1 tbsp vanilla extract
– 2 lbs shifted powder sugar
– ¼ tsp salt
To make the frosting:
Cream butter, and cream cheese together. Cream until smooth. Mix in vanilla, and salt. Lastly add powdered sugar slowly to the creamed mixture. Mix until everything is all incorporated. YUM!
Frosting recipe yields approximately 4 cups of frosting.
To make the cake:
1. Select a good quality cake mix (a nice quick cake). I’m partial to Duncan Hines when I’m in a pinch because it is dense, and moist. Very easy to decorate on.
2. Mix the cake mix per the box instructions, and divide into 2 8″ round cake pans.
3. Bake cakes at 350 degrees for 28-30 minutes.
4. Allow cakes to cool slightly, take the cakes out of the pans, and cool on a cooling rack.
5. Add your favorite filling to your cake, and frosting completely. Allow the cake to “crust” over slightly. To speed up the process, put the cake in your refridgerator for about an hour.
6. You can use any design you’d like on your cake, but to make the Elvis design, you can do the following. Find your favorite Elvis photo online, and print a 6″x4″ copy. Cut the outline of the picture. Carefully place your template onto your cake, trace the outline with a toothpick, and take the template off. Using colored icing or icing gel, fill in the design completely.