When it comes to citrus fruits, the sweet, juicy taste of an orange is a favorite of many. While apples and berries seem to get all the glory for creating luscious desserts, don’t count out oranges. If you’re interested in exploring sweet treats made with oranges, consider the following ideas:
Orange Biscotti: The citrusy flavor of orange creates delicious biscotti to complement your coffee and tea breaks. Some recipes call for one large orange and a couple of tablespoons of orange liqueur. Orange juice is also a good substitute for the liqueur.
Orange Charlotte Russe: Dating back to the 16th century, Charlotte Russe was a dessert made out of sponge cake, ladyfingers, or other types of bread that were layered with creams, custards, and fruit. The dessert is served chilled and often in a large bowl. When ready, the sweet treat is inverted and served upside down. Add citrus appeal to your charlotte by using mandarin oranges and grated orange peel.
Orange Fruit Cake: For a fruity treat, add dried apricots and cherries to an orange flavored cake.
Orange Tortes: Combine orange, walnuts, almonds, and honey to create a delicious torte. Choose a recipe that omits leavening so that the tops of cakes stay flatter.
Orange Chiffon Cake: Try adding orange juice or flavoring to a chiffon cake. To elevate the oranginess, top with an orange-flavored whipped cream frosting. Mandarin oranges can further serve as decoration.
Candied Orange Cake: Bake a cake and decorate with candied orange slices.
When preparing for an orange dessert recipe, keep in mind that not all oranges are created equal with some offering different flavors, levels of sweetness, and amount of vitamin C. A few varieties to consider include:
- Blood– Imported from Mediterranean countries, the oranges possess a distinct blood-red flesh, and are sweet and juicy.
- Navel– The orange receives its name from the “belly button” located at the blossom end of the fruit. The orange has a large, thick skin that is easily peeled – making the seedless, sweet fruit a favorite in the United States.
- Pineapple – With an appetizing aroma, this orange is flavorful and juicy.
- Temple – This orange is a favorite for juice makers because of its sweet taste.
- Valencia – Most juices are made with this widely grown orange.